If you’re thinking about renting out your car, choosing the right car rental app is vitally important. From maximizing your earnings potential to ensuring proper protection in case of any damage, the best car rental platform can help you meet your goals. In this guide, I ranked and reviewed the 7 best car rental apps, along with my top 3 choices, so that you can pick the best one for you.
Apart from providing a way to make extra money, the best car rental apps provide peace of mind and protection.
By offering insurance coverage and 24/hour customer support, these apps give you the security you need to feel confident about renting out your car.
Likewise, when choosing a car rental platform, you need to be aware of the fees charged by the app. While most apps charge a 20-30% commission, some platforms take a fixed rate.
To ensure that you’re getting the best deal for your service, it’s important to consider all the factors before renting out your car.
The best car rental apps should:
- Provide full insurance coverage
- Have a large user base
- Offer 24/hour customer support
- Have a low commission fee
Let’s get started.
What Are the Car Rental Apps?
Here are my picks for the best car rental apps to help you kickstart your car sharing business.
Best overall for car rentals
HyreCar is great for those car owners who are looking to consistently have their car rented out. It is an innovative car rental app that connects car owners with renters who are looking for a car to drive for a ridesharing service, like Uber, or delivery service, like DoorDash.
Since you’re only renting out your car to people who are using it to make money for themselves, they tend to take better care of your car and rent it out for longer periods of time.
If anything were to happen to your car, HyreCar offers one of the best insurance protection plans in the industry. Their comprehensive insurance coverage protects the renter and your car, which is a huge selling point.
This provides great peace of mind for those who are looking to rent out their car but are worried about the risks.
Moreover, HyreCar has customizable commission rates based on the level of protection you’re looking for and doesn’t have any monthly fees, so you can keep more of your earnings.
- Long term rentals: Car owners can make the most money by renting out their car for long periods of time, and HyreCar makes this easy to do.
- Safe drivers: Only those with a clean driving record are allowed to rent cars on HyreCar, so you can be confident that your car is in good hands.
- Customized protection plans: HyreCar offers different protection plans that are tailored to your needs, so you can be sure you’re getting the best coverage for your car.
- 24/7 customer support: If you have any questions or problems, HyreCar’s customer support team is available 24/ seven to help resolve any issues.
- A car inspection is required making the onboarding process longer than other platforms.
There are four fee plans based on the level of protection you choose:
- Basic: You earn 85%
- Standard: You earn 80%
- Premium: You earn 75%
- Premium Plus:You earn 70%
With more than 2 million users in the US, Getaround is one of the most popular car rental apps on the market. It allows you to rent out your car to other drivers in your area who are looking for a car to drive.
Getaround is best for people who are looking to build a car sharing business from their car or fleet of cars. They make it very easy to get started and have a large user base, so you’re likely to get renters for your car quickly.
One of the best features of Getaround is their focus on technology. They offer a proprietary hardware device that connects to your car, allowing you to share your car without a key exchange.
By automating the key exchange process, you will have to spend a lot less time and effort coordinating meeting up with renters.
- 24/7 host support: Getaround’s host support team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help you with any questions or problems you have.
- Vetted drivers: All drivers on Getaround are vetted through a screening process to ensure they are safe and responsible.
- Contactless sharing: Their Getaround Connect hardware device allows you to share your car without a key exchange, making it more convenient for you and the renter.
- Premium parking access: You can park your car in Getaround’s premium parking spots, which are located in high-demand areas.
- You’ll need to install their special hardware device in your car, making the onboarding process more complicated.
- You must pay a monthly fee to have your car listed on the Getaround platform.
These are fees hosts are subject to when sharing their car on Getaround:
- Connect hardware device setup: $99
- Connect hardware subscription: $20 /month
Turo is one of the most popular car rental apps, with over 14 million users worldwide. Their platform is one of the most versatile available and allows you to rent out your car whether it’s a minivan for a road trip or a sports car for a wedding.
Whether you want to commit to renting out your car long-term or just want to make some extra money on the weekends, Turo will likely have an option that works for you.
Turo is best for quickly getting your car listed and rented out. They have a very user-friendly platform that makes it easy to list your car and start earning money.
- Easy listing process: Turo has a very user-friendly platform that makes it quick and easy to list your car.
- Flexible: You can rent out almost any type of car on Turo, from minivans to sports cars.
- High demand: With over 14 million users, there is a high demand for cars on Turo, so you’re likely to get renters for your car quickly.
- No monthly fees: You only pay a commission when your car is rented out, so there are no monthly fees to worry about.
- There have been many reports of Turo’s customer service being unresponsive and unhelpful when it comes to customer support
Turo has five fee plans based on the level of protection you choose:
- 60 plan: You earn 60% of the trip price
- 75 plan: You earn 75% of the trip price
- 80 plan: You earn 80% of the trip price
- 85 plan: You earn 85% of the trip price
- 90 plan: You earn 90% of the trip price
Avail is a unique take on car sharing, allowing you to rent out your car while you are traveling. Simply by parking your car at the airport and renting it out to other travelers while you’re away, you can get free airport parking and money while you’re away.
Your car will also be inspected and cleaned by Avail so you get back home to a car that is in great condition. This option is best for frequent travelers that would be happy to hand their car over to Avail to rent while they’re away.
- Free airport parking: You can get free airport parking by renting out your car to other travelers while you’re away.
- Your car is cleaned and inspected: Avail will inspect and clean your car before you return, so you don’t have to worry about it.
- No communicating or coordinating: You don’t need to communicate with or coordinate with renters, as Avail will handle everything for you.
- You’ll make less money than you could with other rental platforms.
- Avail is currently only available in select airports
Instead of renters paying you directly, renters directly pay Avail and the company shares a cut with you. You will earn a fixed amount each day based on your vehicle’s class.
- Standard Cars, Mid-Sized SUVs, and Vans: Earn $20 per day
- Large SUVs: Earn $25 per day
With a focus on technology, Karshare makes renting out your car safe and easy. They are a UK-based car rental company that allows you to provide a frictionless car rental experience with convenient features like keyless entry, driver telematics to monitor renter behavior, and smart data to record fuel and mileage levels.
You will first be required to configure your vehicle to Karshare’s keyless technology that allows renters to unlock your vehicle through facial recognition. Their platforms is best for people who are looking for a seamless experience when renting out their car in the UK.
- Keyless technology: Karshare uses facial recognition to allow renters to unlock your car without a key.
- Safety: Karshare monitors driver behavior and records fuel and mileage levels to ensure that your car is being driven safely.
- Comprehensive coverage: They provide full insurance coverage for your car while it’s being rented out.
- Hands-off: You won’t have to meet with renters to exchange keys.
- Karshare is only available in the UK.
- You need to have their keyless technology installed in your car.
Karshare charges a service and insurance fee of 30% on all rentals.
SocialCar is a European car sharing company that allows you to rent out your car when you’re not using it. They are available in over 600 cities in Spain and focus on making car sharing simple, convenient, and affordable.
This option is best for anyone living in Spain who is looking to make extra money by renting out their car part-time.
- Flexible sharing options: You can choose to share your car via key exchange or keyless entry through their app.
- 24/7 roadside assistance: SocialCar offers 24/hour roadside assistance in case of any problems with your car while it’s being rented out.
- You are paid monthly instead of after every trip.
- Currently only available in Spain.
You will earn 75% of the rental price.
SnappCar is a Dutch car sharing company that allows you to share your car with others when you’re not using it. The onboarding process is easy and they accept a wide range of cars onto their platform.
SnappCar is best for people in the Netherlands who are looking for a convenient way to share their car.
- Tailored pricing advice: Use SnappCar’s license plate tool to determine the best price for your car.
- Control over who rents your car: You can check renter reviews and profiles before accepting a request
- Only available in the Netherlands.
- Limited features and customer support.
- SnappCar fee: 12.5% fee on every trip
- Insurance fee: 10% fee on every trip
Renting out your car offers a great way to earn extra income, but it’s important to choose the right platform for you. Before choosing the best car rental app for you, consider your needs and the fees associated with each platform. With so many options available, it’s important to do your research to find the best fit for you.
For example, if you’re looking for the best car rental app for making you the most money while also keeping your car the most protected, HyreCar would be a great option.
If you’re looking to start a car rental business that generates consistent income from vetted renters, then Getaround would be a good option too.
Keeping all these things in mind should help you make the best decision for you and your car.