It’s easy to spend an entire day watching Netflix or scrolling through social media and not realize how much time has passed.
In fact, a recent study found that the average person spends a little over five hours per day on their phone. While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying some downtime, that’s also the time that could be spent growing your bank account.
Luckily for you, there are money making apps that can help.
I’ve done all the research and found 11 of the best apps to earn cash in 2022 and ranked them by their quality, features, and costs.
Most of these apps work by giving you a small task to complete, such as answering surveys or downloading sponsored content. Once the task is done, the app pays you automatically.
No matter what your interests are, one of these money earning apps should be exactly what you’re looking for.
Let’s dive in.
What Are the Best Money Earning Apps?
Here are my top recommendations for the best money making apps to use in 2022.
Best for getting rewards and deals when you shop
Rakuten is one of the most popular money making apps available, and for good reason.
It’s simple to use: just shop through the Rakuten website or app, and you’ll earn rewards or get a percentage of your purchase as cash back.
Plus, they frequently offer discounts and deals that can save you money on things you were going to buy anyway.
There’s no need to change your shopping habits – just continue to shop at your favorite stores through Rakuten and earn cash back while you do it.
- Get cash back on every purchase
- Get discounts and deals
- Shop at major retailers and keep your regular shopping habits while you earn rewards and cash back
There is no cost to use Rakuten. You simply shop at your favorite stores through the website or app and receive a percentage of your purchase as cash back rewards.
Start getting rewards and deals with Rakuten.
Best for earning money by completing small tasks
Swagbucks is one of the most popular money making apps because it’s so versatile.
You can earn cash by taking surveys, watching videos, surfing the web, and more. Plus, they offer a wide variety of gift cards as rewards options so you can choose what you want to spend your money on.
- Earn money by completing surveys, watching videos, and more
- Earn rewards in the form of gift cards
- Make extra cash fast or save money on everyday purchases
There is no cost to use Swagbucks. You simply complete tasks and earn rewards. They even pay you up to a $10 bonus (1,000 points) when you sign up.
Get started now with Swagbucks.
Best for earning money on groceries
Ibotta is one of the best money making apps for quickly turning your everyday purchases into money in your pocket.
All you have to do is download the app, find rebates for items from select retailers, purchase them at their store location or while shopping online, then upload a photo of your receipt through Ibotta’s mobile app or website.
You’ll get cash back instantly when you complete tasks like this.
- Get cash back on groceries and everyday purchases
- No need to clip coupons or search for sales
- Easily upload receipts through the app or website
- Receive extra cash instantly after completing tasks
There are no costs associated with using Ibotta. You simply shop as you normally would and get cash back on your purchases.
Get started earning money with Ibotta.
Best for saving money
Acorns is a money making app that helps you invest your spare change into the stock market.
It’s a robo-advisor service that works by rounding up transactions from linked cards or bank accounts to the nearest dollar and automatically putting those extra cents into an investment account.
- Round up purchases automatically, then invest extra cash
- Get cash back or bonuses on everyday purchases at select retailers
- Receive personalized advice about how much to save based on your financial goals and risk tolerance level
- The Personal Plan is $3 per month and includes an investment, retirement and checking account, and a few other perks.
- The Family Plan is $5 per month and includes unlimited kids per family, plus all the perks and accounts found in the Personal Plan.
Get started saving and investing for your future with Acorns.
5) M1 Finance
Best for investing
M1 Finance is a unique money making app because it allows you to invest in stocks for free.
You can create custom portfolios with ETFs and individual stocks, or use one of the preset options based on your investment goals.
M1 also lets you buy fractional shares of stock so that you don’t have to wait until you have enough money saved up to purchase an entire share.
- Create custom portfolios with ETFs and individual stocks
- Use preset options or create your own
- Buy fractional shares of stock
There is no cost to use M1 Finance. You simply invest money as you normally would and withdraw the money you earn from your accounts anytime.
Get started investing now with M1 Finance.
Best for multiple ways to earn money
MyPoints is one of the best money making apps because it offers many ways to earn money.
You can take surveys, watch videos, check into local deals on your phone, or just shop online through their portal and get rewarded for doing so.
The app also lets you earn points that are redeemable for cash paid directly to a PayPal account or as a gift card from retailers like Amazon and Walmart.
- Get cash back on everyday purchases with no additional effort needed
- Earn money by watching videos, checking in at airports and stores, completing small tasks online (like watching educational clips), and more.
- Redeem points for cash or gift cards
There are no costs associated with using MyPoints. You simply shop as you normally would and earn points or get cash back on your purchases.
Get started earning now with MyPoints.
Best for earning money by providing services
Fiverr is a unique money making app because it lets you sell your skills and services.
You can offer anything from designing a logo to writing an article, to doing voiceovers or developing a website.
The best part is that Fiverr takes only a 20% commission on each sale, so you keep 80% of the money you earn.
- Sell any skill or service you have
- Keep 80% of the money earned from sales
- Offer gigs for as little as $5
There are no costs associated with using Fiverr. You simply sell your skills and services and keep 80% of the payments received. Fiverr takes 20% of your earnings after a project is completed.
Get started making money from your skills with Fiverr.
Best for making money by taking surveys
Google Opinion Rewards is a money making app that gives you money in exchange for answering short polls and questions.
It’s simple to use, just open the app on your phone when it notifies you of a new survey available to complete.
The money you earn can be used towards Google Play credit or sent directly to you.
- Get notified about new surveys via push notifications on your phone
- Answer quick questionnaires and make money doing so
- Use money earned to buy Google Play credit or easily withdraw it to your PayPal or bank account
There are no costs associated with using Google Opinion Rewards. You simply answer surveys when they’re available and earn money in return.
Get started now with Google Opinion Rewards.
Best for selling photos or videos
Foap is a money making app that lets you sell your photos and videos.
You simply snap a picture or record a video with your phone, add some keywords and tags, and submit it to the Foap marketplace.
When your photo or video is purchased, you’ll receive money directly to your PayPal account.
- Sell your photos and videos
- Easily submit photos and videos from your phone
- Doesn’t require professional-level work (phone photos and videos are fine)
There are no costs associated with using Foap until you sell one of your photos or videos. Foap takes a 50% commission on each sale, so for every $50 you earn, you would net $25.
Get started selling your photos and videos now with Foap.
Best for renting out your car
Turo is a money making app that lets you rent out your car.
You simply set the price per day or week, provide pictures of your vehicle and any additional information about it, then list it on Turo’s marketplace.
When someone books your car, they pay you directly through Turo and you drop off the car at an agreed upon location, like the airport or train station.
- Start making money from a car you don’t use often or on days when you’re not using the car
- Set the price per day or week and make money as soon as someone books it
- Easily manage your rental and earnings from the Turo app
There are no costs associated with using Turo until you rent out your car. After renting out your car, you’ll earn 65% to 85% of the trip price.
Start renting out your car now with Turo.
Best for selling household items
OfferUp is a money making app that lets you sell all kinds of things.
You can list just about anything, from video games to furniture or even your car – the sky’s the limit.
It’s a great way to sell items you no longer want and free up space in your home while making some extra money.
- Sell whatever you want (cars, furniture, clothes) with no fees until an item sells
- Money earned gets automatically transferred to you each time something sells
- Easily manage offers via the OfferUp app or email alerts when new offers are available
There are no costs associated with using OfferUp. You simply list items, they sell, and the money is automatically deposited to you. When items are sold, you are charged a service fee of either $1.99 or 12.9% of the selling price.
Get started earning now with OfferUp.
Money Earning Apps: Summary
The money making apps listed in this blog post are the best and quickest ways to make money fast. Each app has a different way of making money, so it’s important to explore your options and see which ones work best with how you want to earn money in your free time.
If you’re looking for other ways to make money, check out my guide on 73 Best Ways To Make Extra Money Online.
Now, it’s up to you to decide which app aligns the best with your interests.
Feel free to reach out and let me know which of these money making apps you like the most. Looking forward to hearing fomr you!